Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Mail art as performance art

 "Mail art requires an actual physical interaction between the receiver/consumer and the artists’ work.  In many cases, this interaction takes the form of opening an envelope, where both the envelope and the contents are the art, but so is the act of opening the envelope.  In this way, the art transgresses from purely visual/physical art to performance/interactive art.  The act of receiving art in the mail expels the distance between art and life, bringing the experience of art straight into the recipient’s home." 
The Consecrated Eminence 

With that in mind, I created both a card and the envelope to relate to the event that I shared with the persons receiving it...which was a party. This was a lot of fun to create, drawing something that encompassed both their hospitality from the party to their generosity of giving me a gift. Looking back, I wish I had drawn the necklace around her neck...oh well, it's too late now.

 It also reflects ( hopefully with a sense of humor ) my joy in the necklace that they gave me from one of their many travels.

"Mail art is fun and easy (who doesn’t like  surprises?), but it’s also meaningful – it facilitates a direct connection between the person who made the object and person who receives it." 
The Consecrated Eminence


I think it turned out real cute and I must say I am enjoying drawing little snippets like this. Mail art and card making are fun activities, I hope you enjoyed mine.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Love these! They are sooooooo creative and cute!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com