Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sundays with Sandee - “Emails are a poke, but letters are a caress."



As etiquette guru Letitia Baldridge advises, "nothing is more pleasant than receiving a beautiful letter", maybe we should extend that quote to include envelopes too!



In researching the decline of the written letter I came across this interesting tidbit which just made me smile, wouldn't the aristocrats would roll over in their graves if they knew about e-mail, texting and twittering?


"The decline of letter-writing far predates the Internet. “For many it started in 1840, with the first adhesive stamp,” Garfield writes. “The snobbish and well-to-do believed cheap postage would lead to the equivalent cheapening of an art form best left to the professionals.” In 1919, the Yale Review lamented that “the art of writing letters has been lost,” with blame cast on the telephone, the typewriter, the telegraph, even the train — for delivering letters too promptly."



I hope you pop over to the Frosted Designs blog and visit me there, maybe you will be inspired to...

celebrate letter-writing



Write a friend today or maybe an elderly relative a note, make a hand made card for them and embellish the envelope, who knows, you might make their day.  


6 comments:

Carole Z said...

Love the art work, great lips! Your post today reminded me that I owe a letter to my very elderly aunt (96) in San Francisco..she still writes the most amazing letters and I really enjoy writing back to her, happy Sunday, hugs Carole Z X

Krisha said...

It is so sad that letter writing is falling by the wayside. I remember getting a letter from my pen-pal and how exciting it was to open it and read pages of hand written words. NOT so exciting to get an e-mail, no envelope, pretty stamp, usually short and to the point.
Have a great week.

Jean said...

I agree - I love getting mail of the old fashioned kind!

marionarmitage said...

So true.. I can not remember when I received a letter or even wrote one myself.... I have some I have kept and do treasure those...Some of my grand children have trouble reading the written word... how our world changes.....

Craftychris said...

Been and looked and it's fab! I love getting letters and like sending them too but don't do it enough ! xx

Anonymous said...

Love this idea. I tried my hand at them this past weekend and had a blast, thanks so much for all your inspiration!