Sunday, August 4, 2013

Flapdoodle: noun

foolish, empty, and often specious talk, writing, ideas, or opinions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Creative Inspirations - Inspired by Anything Goes
Our Creative Corner - words, words, words
Simon Says - Anything Goes


My first steps are painting the back and sides of the plaque, and covering the front with watercolor paper. I find that the heavier paper works best with mixed media than regular card stock paper. Then I used molding pasted through a stencil to create the swirly pattern on the belly and let it dry overnight, just to make sure it cured. I colored the molded swirls with a PITT pen, and just love how it came out.
I cut a wing out of chipboard and covered it also with watercolor paper, colored the base with the mint gelato and then using one of the stamps that came with my set, I colored it with my Big Brush pen. I repeated the image over the entire wing to get a background. 
The sentiment was stamped separately and cut out and lightly washed with the metallic melon gelato.
I stamped the leaf design with gelatos and then went back over the image with my PITT pen to bring out the detail a little bit better.
The flower around the eye was stamped first with the gelato, but it didn't show up as well as I hoped so I went back in and colored the image using my water brush. Doodles around the edges of the bird with a PITT pen.

Genuinely Jane Studios - wooden bird plaque
Faber Castell - gelotos in metallic melon and mint green
stamp
Big Brush pen - Cold Grey
Pitt Pen - black, light yellow glaze
Close to My Heart - stamps, Beauty and Scrapbook Sentiments ( poets 0
Recollections - floral embellishments
Golden - molding paste
stencil - misc. ( from a home improvement store )
water brush

Hold your breath and put on your seat belt....this video is guaranteed to make you dizzy!
 I did edit the darn thing, so I have no idea why it is upside down or why it's speeding through and continuously looping! This is a learning experience for me, so hope you don't mind being part of the journey. Hopefully each one will get a little bit better....fingers crossed! If you have any suggestions for an editing program, I am open...oh, so definitely open! It is kinda funny though, lol

18 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think it's beautiful. I especially like the flower/eye. Great concept.

I agree. that constant loop IS funny. But it's a lot better than anything I could ever make! Way to go.

Francesca said...

Lovely birdie and a fab video, blink and you miss it. Great Stuff. Hugs francesca

Nana said...

Beautiful plaque. Love the pastel colors. The flower for the eye is very unique. Fantastic sentiment. Happy Sunday.
Have a creative day.
Hugs Nana
♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

Anna said...

What a cute little plaque! Love the soft pastel colors and the little flower eye.
LOL - Don't know what program you used for the video, but you are right, if you watch it long enough it will make you dizzy!

Winnie said...

How adorable! I am actually enjoying the fun video, it is a good way to see your "process". I am cracking up because I am waiting for her to take flight! Awesome.

Rita said...

So pretty and I love the quote, too. :)

Words and Pictures said...

This is just lovely - the delicate colours, those great swirls of texture, and a brilliant quote on that beautiful wing. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Our Creative Corner.
Alison x

MaryH said...

Beautiful bird placque! Love all the different media & techniques you used on this. Good for you on doing a video! You'll get the hang of it. TFS & stay cool. Happy Sunday

Carole Z said...

Gorgeous birdie plaque...and well done on the video! Carole Z xx

Neesie said...

Yoohoo...tis me ;D
It feels like years since I visited you so it's lovely to catch up.
As usual you've been creating gorgeous art and look at you...clever bunny with video's too.
I love that quote. :D

Meggymay said...

Beautiful project, love the pastel colours. That video sure has its skates on.
Yvonne x

DIANA L. said...

This is so beautiful I just love the subtle colors.
Thank you for joining us at Creative inspiration paints.
CI design team member
DIANA L.
dianamlarson.blogspot.com

Carola Bartz said...

What a beautiful bird!!! Gorgeous colors, and I really like the eye. Cute!

Heather said...

What a wonderful plaque - beautifully design and such pretty colours and lovely details!!

Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
hugs
Heather xx

Julie Lee said...

Clever you for making a video anyway! I would be really challenged! I loved it! it made me smile, but it was great. This is gorgeous too! Such a beautiful birdie and the quote is super! I love Emerson! Nice to see your work again Sandee! Julie Ann xx

Jenny Marples said...

Love the different media layers on this and that fantastic video Sandee. It really helped show up the details. Thanks for joining us at Our Creative Corner, hugs Jenny x

Beverley Baird said...

Love that quote and your piece! Great tutorial!

Monique said...

haha, love the bird and the speedy upside down video! The bird is beautiful!
xx Monique