Saturday, October 6, 2012

alopecia: noun

Loss of hair; baldness.

Hair loss occurs because chemotherapy can sometimes damage healthy cells. It is so common because hair follicle cells multiply very quickly like cancer cells and chemotherapy drugs have difficulty in discerning the difference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know how it would feel to lose all my hair to chemo: a condition called alopecia. I'm guessing it's a little embarrassing, and self deflating. I don't know if I have a "pretty" shaped head or if it's full of dents and dings. I'm lucky that I have never had to find out, but this card is dedicated to all the women that have had to, or going through this stage.

Entering my card in the Fab 'n' Funky Challenges #141 - No Pattern Paper
Link Up For Pink
 
 
 
paper and gem by My Minds Eye
stitching by hand
ribbon by Offray
sentiment from the internet
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Last day to enter into my "grateful" giveaway, winner will be announced Sunday!
 

15 comments:

Redanne said...

Hi Sandee, it is a very inspired card, not sure how I would feel either ........ perish the thought....... Crafty hugs, Anne x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi s
Sandee just wandering around when should be in bed - alopecia can also be a condition apart from cancer and chemo so folk have it just like you have any other health condition, and there are different types.

see:http://www.news-medical.net/health/Alopecia-What-is-Alopecia.aspx

Oh and I just want to say a big thanks by always cheering me up with your comment you bless my heart, hugs Shaz.xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

ha Sandee the funny thing was just read the bit about the thankful giveaway after I wrote my comment I wonder if I read that bit subconsciously... love your simple card tooo Shaz in Oz.x

Krisha said...

Love it Sandee! I have friends and a cousin that had breast cancer and lost their hair. They would have LOVED this card.
Hugs
Krisha

Rita said...

This is just perfect and sweet, too! :)

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Sandee,

I too, am lucky in that I haven't had to see myself bald. Although the friend I am currently visiting in Colorado is - due to chemo. She's on her second round and bless her heart, she's so upset about losing her hair.

Only three more treatments left (with this round) and hopefully no more after this.

Sorry I've been MIA.

Hugs,
Kay

Mrs A. said...

A simple but beautiful card. hugs Mrs A.

Teresa Jaye said...

I love this card it's so simple and sweet and completely beautiful. I grew out my hair two times and donated it to "Locks of Love". They make human hair wigs for children with Alopecia.

JoanieMc said...

Cute card and great for the cause, thanks for joining Link Up for Pink and good luck in the draw.

Hugs
Joanie

Esther said...

Love it!
It would bring a smile to anyones face :)
Thanks for joining us at Link Up For Pink!!!!

Lori Comeau said...

Love this! Very touching!
http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

This is a beautiful card. I think my mom would have loved this card when she lost her hair for chemo!

Pat said...

Super card, great image and sentiment. Thanks for sharing at Fab'n'Funky this week. Good Luck.

Pat xx

Sarah said...

What a great card-- I love this! So creative!

Romaine said...

love the simplicity of the happy face on pink! :0)